header

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A great present from my dad

My dad just got back from a week of singing in York, England, and he sent me a present which I got today - a pipe. He found it for five pounds in the basement of an antique store, and I have to say that it may be the coolest pipe ever. It's gargantuan. The bowl is like the size of my fist. It's got bark on it. The stem is made of water buffalo horn. It is beyond great. Ever since I saw the Davy Jones pipe in Pirates of the Caribbean, I've wanted a big bowled pipe, but I never imagined anything as cool as this one.



I can't overstate how huge this thing is. I could put one of my other pipes in the bowl and smoke IT. Man. It's the best. To give you an idea of scale, here's a pic of it next to my others. The one two over to the left from the big one was what I USED to consider my "big one." Not any more!



I've been busting myself to try and get the first chapter of Crogan's Vengeance done before we leave for North Carolina on Thursday to go to Heroes Con. I have no idea where I'll be sitting - maybe SCAD will have a table, I may be at Artist's Alley, I'm not really sure. But I've got a big mop of curly hair, and I'm reasonably tall, so chances are you'll find me if you're looking.

Anyway, I've finished 22 pages of the 26 that make up the first section, and I hope to have page 23 finished tonight. My goal is to have them all done by the end of Tuesday, so that I can scan them in Wednesday.

I've also started thumbnailing for Swiss Tales #1, but despite my hopes to have something new for MOCCA I don't think that I'll be able to make it in time. I'm going to be putting together some Shoot the Moon minis and making a couple more copies of Giovanni Potatoe to pass around (I gave my last to copies to James at Oni a couple of months ago, and haven't made replacements yet), and probably some more pirate sketchbooks. In any case, the assembly usually takes more time than I ever expect it to, so I'll probably spend most of next week putting those minis together.

I'll have Swiss Tales ready for SPX, though. Woo! Also, I made the brochure for the class I'm teaching this summer. If you know a kid in the Western Kentucky area, and want to find out more about the program, shoot me an e-mail or just register using the registration form inside.

Click on the pic below to see the interior of the brochure. You may have to click on it once it's up, to enlarge it.

<">

2 comments:

Mike Lynch said...

What a great brochure! And at $119, it's a great bargain!

I'll look for ya at the MoCCA Fest!

Anonymous said...

that looks so exciting! I don't know if it adds anything but I have a comic I made on how I make comics for a workshop I did at a library once:

http://davidyoderisawesome.com/howtocover.htm

And collected all the kids comics into a mini at the end of it ... sigh.

David Yoder